Denise Goldberg's blog

Ireland at last
Explorations in two countries, from Belcoo to Belfast

Saturday, July 12, 2003

Where I'll be wandering

Ah, another solo but planned trip...

I'll be traveling from Belcoo - about 35 miles east of Sligo - heading west and north to the coast, then north and east across the island, then heading south. I'll be ending on the east coast in Belfast. Hmmm... I'm finally doing a west to east tour!

Tony has put together what appears to be an interesting set of biking days for me. I'll be traveling on most days, but there are a few where there is a circle route planned, allowing me a day of luxurious riding on an unloaded bike. If I'm really tired I can use those days as rest days, but right now I'm hoping to ride. I'm only going to be in Ireland for a short period of time, and I want to see and experience as much as possible. Some of the unloaded days will be hard ones with steep hills and otherwise difficult terrain, but Tony tells me the scenery on those days is fantastic!

Here's the plan:
Day Date From - To Activity / Mode of TravelWhich Country?
1 - 2 August 29 - 30 Boston to Belcoo travel by plane, train, and automobileUSA to Ireland to Northern Ireland
3August 31Belcoo Assemble bike, ride a bit, restNorthern Ireland & Ireland
4September 1Belcoo to Rosses PointBikeNorthern Ireland to Ireland
5September 2Rosses Point to BelleekBikeIreland to Northern Ireland
6September 3Belleek to DonegalBikeNorthern Ireland to Ireland
7September 4Donegal to ArdaraBikeIreland
8September 5ArdaraBike without gear, a challenging route!Ireland
9September 6Ardara to CastledergBikeIreland to Northern Ireland
10September 7Castlederg to DerryBikeNorthern Ireland to Ireland to Northern Ireland
11September 8Derry to BushmillsBikeNorthern Ireland
12September 9BushmillsBike without gearNorthern Ireland
13September 10Bushmills to CushendallBikeNorthern Ireland
14September 11Cushendall to BelfastBikeNorthern Ireland
15September 12Belfast to DublinTrain, then wandering on footNorthern Ireland to Ireland
16September 13Dublin to BostonTravel, travel, travel - by planeIreland to USA
Update on September 14th: When I left home I thought that my trip would progress from the Republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland - that is, that I'd spend the first half of my trip in Ireland, and the second in Northern Ireland. It didn't work out that way, and I was actually wandering back and forth across the border for the first half of the trip. Belcoo, my home for the first two nights, is in Northern Ireland. The next day I traveled to Rosses Point, in the south. Then to Belleek, in the north. Back to the south to Donegal Town and Ardara. Then to Castlederg in the north. I traveled roads in the south as I rode back to Derry, in the north. At that point I stayed in Northern Ireland until I took the train to Dublin on September 12th. A trip of wandering between two countries...

Update on September 27th: I've updated the table above to show which country or countries I was in each day.