Denise Goldberg's blog

Ireland at last
Explorations in two countries, from Belcoo to Belfast

Sunday, August 17, 2003

Back on track...

...commuting, riding, route finding, and playing with my camera!

The beginning of this past week was definitely a continuation of the last two, with more rain. Luckily, Wednesday was the last rain day - although that one was a real doozy. It was raining in the morning, but then it cleared to bright sunshine. About 3 in the afternoon we all gathered by the windows, watching in fascination at the sky turned quickly to black - OK, OK, dark gray - and sheets of rain began pelting down, accompanied by thunder and hail. Wow. You could barely see across the street, and I was very glad that I wasn't out in that stuff on my bike!

The humidity stuck around, but Thursday dawned as a good riding day, and the weather has continued to be cooperative through today (Sunday). It was a good riding week, which I really needed! According to the forecast we've got a good weather week coming too, so I hope to be able to reach my goal of one more solid week of riding before my trip. Then a bit of rest...

When I went to sleep last night I was thinking of throwing a bike in the car, driving to the coast, and riding along the ocean today. But when I woke up today I was feeling very lazy. Too lazy to drive somewhere to ride, but definitely not too lazy to ride my bike.

Let's see now, where should I go? I consulted my bike maps, and found a new route (for me) heading north to cross the Merrimack River. Then I was planning to follow the river toward the east until the road hit route 110, which I'd follow (still heading east) to where I'd cross the river again and join up with one of my usual routes. I headed out, and made it across the river on a bridge I hadn't used before. I can't believe I never found that route before, because it nicely bypassed some very commercial sections leading north from my house.

I started following Canal Street heading east, but then somehow ended up on a road that seemed to be a ramp onto Interstate 495. Oops. Not where I want to be! Maybe it went through, but I didn't try. There wasn't anyone around to ask, I didn't have my map with me, and the road wasn't marked anyhow - a typical Massachusetts road. What to do, what to do? I decided to ride west instead of east, riding along Canal Street westbound until it hit 110 west. Then I followed 110 into Lowell, where it looped back across the river and intersected with route 133, leading me home again. That was a new loop for me - with some roads I've been on before, and some new pieces. It turned out to be a very pleasant ride, with one big surprise. The surprise is that there is a section of Canal Street in Lawrence with some interesting art displayed. I was very happy that I had my camera with me today so I could capture some of the "road art", both in that one section in Lawrence and in some other locations along the way. When I get to Ireland I'll have to see if I can find some Irish road art to compare with the art I saw today.
It turns out that the art along Canal Street in Lawrence was part of a special event Art Walk. Too bad it isn't a permanent fixture - because it definitely made me smile.
The countdown continues... only 12 days to go until that long flight across the Atlantic!

And here are the results of carrying my camera today --- a little bit of Massachusetts views and road art. You can skip the rest of this journal page if you're only interested in pictures from Ireland, I'm not there yet!
















See, I wasn't kidding! Today was a practice day, practice for riding and looking and seeing things. And stopping and taking pictures...