Denise Goldberg's blog

Ireland at last
Explorations in two countries, from Belcoo to Belfast

Thursday, August 28, 2003

Ireland at last: Time to live my dream...

Wow - I just can't believe this trip is here! It's been a long time coming, but the time has just flown. I looked at my plane ticket today and realized that I purchased it four months ago. Time to use that ticket, time to live my dream...

I just reviewed my gear list to make sure I didn't forget anything. I almost forgot my little blow-up neck pillow for the plane, but luckily it's on the list so it is now in my carry-on bag. It looks like everything else is packed - and if by some chance I missed something, well I guess I really don't need it! My only remaining decision is whether to take my Chaco sandals or a pair of Merrell slides as my off-the-bike shoes. That's my one last minute decision, since my shoe rule says I can only take one pair of extra (non-biking) shoes with me - whichever pair of shoes that is on my feet as I walk out of my door tomorrow afternoon will be the pair that's going with me!

I'm excited about the trip, but I have my usual last minute case of butterflies. It's definitely not as bad as the case I had before I left on my cross-country trek last year, but it's there. I'm sure I'll be fine as soon as I walk out of the door tomorrow afternoon - it's just my wondering about what I'll be encountering in my travels... maybe a little bit of fear of the unknown. I know, I know - I've done this often enough that there shouldn't be any of that, but I guess it's part of who I am! We all get those funny feelings sometimes.

My flight leaves from Boston tomorrow evening at 7, with an arrival in Dublin at 6 Saturday morning. Once I get through customs, I'll take either a bus or a train to Belfast. Tony Boyd will meet me there and ferry me to my starting point of Belcoo. It will be fun to meet Tony - most of our communications to this point have been over email, with a couple of phone conversations thrown in. I have my initial itinerary, and my final list of B&Bs. I'll get my detailed directions and maps from Tony on Saturday. After a long travel day (or maybe I should say a long travel night and day), I'm sure I'll be ready for a good sleep and then a somewhat quiet first day. That will be supported by my staying at the same place Saturday and Sunday nights. Sunday will be my day to get acclimated and to take a ride without my gear. Then I'll start my travels by bike on Monday. Can't wait!